Monday, August 30, 2010

hello, I'm a hippo

I know some women love being pregnant and every thing about it. I am not one of those women.

Last week in our baby class we had to make lists of the things we hate about being pregnant and then the things we love about it.

I hate...
  • gaining weight. Thus far I have gained 35 pounds. I feel disgusting. My thighs now touch each other when I walk. I was looking at some of my jeans that I wore this time last year and it made me nothing but depressed. This is exacerbated by people telling me that I don't look pregnant at all. It's like what, did you think I was just fat?
  • not being able to sleep on my stomach.
  • not being able to drink. This is actually sort of funny though, because anyone who knows me knows that I almost never drink. Honestly, half a glass of wine pretty much does me in and I've never finished a beer in my life. But some of the hot nights this summer, watching Aaron drink a cold beer just makes me want a drink soooo badly.
  • not being able to smoke hookah.
  • not being able to wear what I want.
  • maternity clothes. They all look the same and are boring.
  • being tired.
  • my face breaking out like a 13-year-old's.
  • upper back pain.
  • dealing with health insurance companies.
  • doctor's bills.
  • being hungry, hungry, hungry all the time time time.



I love...
  • feeling Michael move.
  • baby clothes.
  • the smell of baby things.
  • getting Michael's room ready.
  • hearing Michael's heartbeat.
  • talking with Aaron about all the things we're looking forward to about being parents.
  • getting back rubs from Aaron.
  • my tummy. Yes, I know this seems to contradict what I said about hating weight gain. But what I hate is the weight I've gained in my arms, legs and face, I actually like my pregnant stomach.
  • ultra-sound pictures.
  • imagining what Michael will look like. I hope he's a little mini Aaron...minus the beard.
  • anticipating his first smile, laugh and cry. Thinking about the first time he recognizes me or says "I love you mommy!"
  • reading books and talking to Michael, asking "how you doing baby boy?"
  • having so much love love love for this little baby person, feeling like he already knows me so well and just being so excited to get to know him.


In other news, I had an appointment with my midwife today. Everything is going well--my blood pressure is good, Michael is measuring right where he should and his heartbeat is strong. Nine more weeks!

2 comments:

  1. ditto to the 'i love you mommy'-first time i heard that was one of the sweetest moments in my life:)

    ReplyDelete