Thursday, March 18, 2010

this is why you're fat (dot com)
















I am not the healthiest eater. Granted, I'm not terrible. I don't eat fast food very much, I eat lots of salads and lean proteins and try to buy organic when I can afford it. I do however have a huge sweet tooth and I do admit to eating a marginally ridiculous amount of candy, cookies and other sweet things. Also, while I said I don't eat fast food very much, I have definitely been eating it more this semester that I've been student teaching.

Being pregnant, I not only think about every chemical/product I use, but of course I am tremendously preoccupied with what I'm eating. Thankfully, I do have a good resource in my pseudo-sister-in-law Krystal who is a nutritionist. This past week Krystal brought me handouts from her job about what I should and should not be eating. There weren't a whole lot of surprises or disappointments. I can't eat sushi which makes me a little sad and I can't eat a whole lot of fish in general. I also can't eat deli meats (weird) which is probably going to be the biggest change for me as usually I eat turkey all the time.

So, my changes meal by meal:

Breakfast
Usually I had cranberry juice and toast with jam. However, lately I just haven't been very hungry in the mornings. I don't exactly feel nauseous or anything, I just don't have an appetite. I can usually at least get a granola bar down. I've found that by the time I get to school though I'm pretty hungry, so I really need to start having some healthy snacks there to eat, as this past week I've just been eating stuff out of the vending machine, which is a habit I'd rather not get into.

Lunch
Pre-pregnancy I had a salad topped with a hard boiled egg, turkey, cheese, carrots and lite dressing every day for lunch. My basic lunch has stayed the same with a few changes. I now make my salad out of spinach instead of lettuce and have grilled chicken instead of turkey, because apparently lunch meat is now on my list of "don't eats" unless it's heated up. I've also started eating this really great 9 grain bread from The Grain Bin with my lunch to get in even more fiber and such.

Dinner
I need recipes for this! Usually Aaron and I make whatever is quick and easy. We have taco or fajita night once a week, so anyone who has any other Mexican recipes should send them my way. Once this semester is done we'll have more time to cook and will actually get to eat together more than 3 times a week, so I'm sure I'll get to eat some more interesting things then.

Caffeine
Caffeine is definitely my vice. I started drinking coffee when I was thirteen and while I don't drink as much as I did in high school (as in, a pot a day) I would still usually have a cup or two a day. Then I would also have a diet coke, sometimes two. This has changed. I've now limited myself to one caffeinated drink a day. This has admittedly been pretty difficult for me to do. Though in the spring and summer I pretty much live off of (herbal) iced tea, so it should get easier...I hope. Sigh, what a luxury it would be to have a coffee in the morning and a diet coke in the evening...

In other news, but still related...
Last weekend my friend Ann who is currently teaching English in France called me to talk. She asked me if I had noticed any changes in my body yet. I told her I haven't yet, aside from noticing my chest is bigger. This of course will change in a couple months. Right now the baby isn't even half an inch long, but eventually it'll be like carrying a watermelon around (or so the baby book I bought described it). So I've decided to document my changing body. My doctor told me I should gain between 25-35 pounds. I just really want those to be health pounds, not cookie pounds, because that wouldn't be healthy for the baby or for me. I've only had one other time in my life where I needed to purposely gain weight, but that was a pretty different situation. Basically I'm just going to eat as healthy as possible and try and make sure my extra calories come from proteins and calcium and other good things.


















Starting Numbers:
Weight: 125 pounds
Waist: 26 inches
Bust: 35 inches
Hips: 36 inches.

These are numbers that I am certain will make me horribly depressed in a few months, but I want a chubby happy baby. And I'll be cute pregnant--right?

1 comment: